- Tea is the chief of the hundred herbs and the heart of the ten thousand plants.
- Before I arrive in the market to make any arrangement, people are already waiting to buy me.
- People will not be mad because of tea
- the various courtiers drink alcohol they address superiors without fear
- that people from the ten thousand countries in the world run after the Fuliang and Xizhou teas.
- when the Lord of Zhao in Zhongshan played the qin [zither] and when the King of Qin beat upon the earthenware jar, no one could invite the artists either to sing or dance merely with a cup of tea.
- Offering alcohol to your neighbors is just to show your courtesy and politeness while serving it in an army headquarters is but to compromise differences.
- I am offered to the future Buddha Maitreya and dedicated to the Bodhisattva Guanyin
I think tea and alcohol are complementary in many places.
In economic area. Merchants trade tea from China to other countries. It is because Tea is rare in the ancient world. Merchants trade tea between China and other countries to get benefits. As the described in the article, “Before I arrive in the market to make any arrangement, people are already waiting to buy me.” These all show the commercial value of the tea in ancient times. However, based on the article, I also can figure out alcohol is expensive in ancient times. “While merely half a glass of alcohol, being honored, costs seven cash.” I get a complementation of tea and alcohol is that tea is used in international trade in ancient times, alcohol is used in national trade.
In the mind area. Tea is sobering which has the same function as coffee. As I find in the article, tea was offered to the future Buddha Maitreya. Hermit and Buddha drink tea when they think about philosophical problems and Buddhism questions. “People will not be mad because of tea.” In the other part, alcohol can bring brave “the various courtiers drink alcohol they address superiors without fear”. Alcohol even can compromise the differences between persons. Alcohol and tea bring people the different feelings in different circumstances.
In social occasions. When people are dancing or singing, drinking tea will be strange. Drinking alcohol when people are talking about book or knowledge is also inapt. People will consider drinking alcohol at a party or meeting a new friend. “Offering alcohol to your neighbors is just to show your courtesy and politeness” is an example. Or drinking tea at an important occasion. For tea, people always drink it at a quieter place like when people talking about books. The reason for using in different occasions is the different feeling brought from the alcohol and tea. Alcohol always makes people feel stimulated. Tea makes people feel calm.